Tennis COVID-19 Policy
Message from the President
I am pleased to announce that at this time the Province of Alberta and the City of Edmonton will allow us to officially open our tennis courts.
I know that this time has been difficult, and there are some restrictions that we have in place to meet social distance requirements.
This policy follows the recommendations of Alberta Health, City of Edmonton, and Alberta Tennis in reference to Covid-19. These measures are temporary, but also necessary in order to allow us to open the facility while protecting the health of members and community at large. Some of these measures may be relaxed at a later time, following the advice by our advisory and governing institutions.
Staff will be present to ensure these policies are met. Players and visitors to the club must follow the instructions of the office staff and respect the decisions taken by the board during these challenging times.
1 - Facility Access
- Players are restricted from play if they meet any of the following criteria:
- If you are experiencing fever, cough, shortness of breath, or sore throat
- Have travelled outside of Canada in the past 14 days
- Have been in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19
- Have been told to self-isolate by Alberta Health Services or a Physician
- Access to the tennis courts is only allowed during the official Court Access Hours. During that period an office staff will be present on site, to manage court access, social distancing and enforce the court play rules as described in this policy.
- Official Court Access Times will be as follows:
- Mon-Fri: 9 am – 10 pm
- Sat-Sun: 10 am – 6 pm
- Member “self-serve”gate access will not be available at any time.
- No access to the City Arts Centre Building is permitted at this point, since all City Facilities are closed to the public.
2 - Memberships
- Garneau Tennis Club offers different membership options, as listed at our website (garneau-tennis.com).
- We will not be accepting in-person membership registration at this time – membership can only set up online using the website.
- You will receive an electronic membership card – please have a copy of this with you when you play so that if asked you can show it to club staff.
- Membership is required in order to make free court time bookings through the online booking system.
3 - Court Reservations
- Court reservations must be made in advance in order to ensure the maximum number of visitors (15) is not exceeded at any given time
- Court Reservations can be made by both members and drop-in visitors, in compliance with the provisions of this policy; all players must be listed on the reservation.
- All tennis courts must now be booked through garneau.skedda.com. Please note that members are restricted to 1 online reservation per day, applicable to all players on the court, not only the one who has made the reservation.
- Reservation can be made for up to 1 hr time slots only during the official Court Access Hours (see point 3), allowing a 15 min buffer between the playtimes, to allow court cleaning and switch of players.
- Reservations of members can be made no more than 3 days in advance, and drop-in reservations by non-members can be made no more than 24h in advance.
- To maximize court availability, players are asked to book adjacent time blocks (for example, if a court is booked from 5 – 6, and you plan on playing after that, book 6:15-7:15 as opposed to 6:30 – 7:30)
- Court booking during off-peak hours may be made in advance or on a drop-in basis, but still must adhere to social distancing requirements.
4 - Court Use
- There will be no tournaments or social events in the club until further notice.
- Singles play is only permitted. Players can use Tennis Ladder, Hit List, or make their own arrangements to schedule matches.
- Players must arrive at the facility no earlier than 5 min prior to their booked time slot, and must exit the courts and leave the facility at the end of their time slot. Players in consecutive time slots should not meet – this is to ensure the “max 15-people” rule.
- Members are permitted to play past their booked time only if there is nobody booked for their court on for the time block afterwards – you must leave the court and ask the office staff to check the booking website and to book a court time for you if there is availability – do not wait on the court to see if someone shows up..
- Court sweeping equipment will be sanitized by our staff after every use. As a courtesy to staff, please inform them when you have completed play so they know to sanitize the equipment in a timely fashion.
- Players are encouraged to bring gloves to be used when handling the sweeping equipment.
- There will be no spectating or loitering by members at any time.
- Players, please use the washroom at home before coming to the facility since there is no public washroom at the club. There is currently no custodial staff present at the City Arts Centre.
- The City Arts Centre and bathrooms/showers/lockers/office will only be accessible by our club staff.
- Players should provide their own balls to be used on their own service games – when you are picking up your hitting partner’s balls use your racquet, not your hands. We also recommend that you mark your personal balls in a distinct way.
- Players are encouraged to wear any personal protective equipment (mask, gloves, etc) when approaching the office staff, entering and leaving the facility.
- To support tennis skill development of members and to attract newcomers to the club, private tennis lessons will be provided, Lessons are restricted to Private, Individual lessons only.
- Tennis lessons are restricted to one court (court #1) during peak hours (Mon-Fri, 5:00-9:00)
- Members are not permitted to use court and coaching equipment at this time (ball machine, cones, brooms, sweepers, etc.)
- The duration of lessons is 1h and should allow for a 15min buffer between lessons. Only the pros are permitted to handle the balls and teaching equipment (cones, etc). If you would like serving to be part of your lesson, you must use your own balls.
- Lesson bookings will not count towards your daily time limit.
- Players must sanitize themselves before and after playing. Please provide your own sanitizer.
- Club staff reserve the right to ask players to vacate the court and premises in order to meet social distancing requirements against gatherings larger than 15 people.
- No handshakes allowed – In lieu of handshakes, players are asked to use some other greeting such as elbow bump, foot bump, bow, racquet head bump, etc.
- Players, members and non-members, who do not comply with the rules of this policy or do not follow the direction of the office staff, may be banned from using the courts for a week, or have their membership revoked upon decision by the Board. We have a serious public health situation and we expect that all club patrons follow the rules to ensure everyone’s safety.